From: Kay Sievers <kay <at> vrfy.org>
Subject: Re: systemd-183
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.hotplug.devel
Date: Sunday 27th May 2012 11:34:11 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Karl O. Pinc  wrote:
> On 05/26/2012 07:54:51 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
>
>> I have the same questions. I don't want to do a full systemd build
>> just
>> to install udev. Is there some way to build udev only?
>
> I don't recall how to do it, but when the merge into systemd
> was announced there were instructions for building just udev.
>
> See the mailing list archives.

We support stand-alone *operation* of the udev tools, but the build
system does not support a stand-alone *build*. The systemd tree needs
to be built and udev picked out of it.

There are also several other generally useful tools in the built tree,
which you might need too over time, like tmpfiles, module-load,
sysconf, binfmt,  ... A couple of D-Bus services to manage system
settings from the desktop.

Various upstream tools start to install config files or use these
interfaces. It might be the simplest to install them too, even when
systemd is not used.

Kay