From: Clea F. Rees <reescf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: EFI stub boots only with setup_efi_pc() commented
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel.efi
Date: Friday 2nd August 2013 23:06:23 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Matt Fleming asked me to email describing a problem I am experiencing
with the EFI stub loader. Matt has been trying to diagnose the cause
of consistent failures of the stub loader in recent kernels on my
machine.

Background: All kernels I tried in 3.7.* booted fine using the stub
loader (via rEFInd). No kernels tried from 3.8.* through 3.9.* and now
into 3.10.* boot using the stub loader. None of the workarounds which
others have used work for me. The problem is reproducible using a
direct NVRAM entry rather than rEFInd. All kernels boot fine with
GRUB.

The problem is reproducible with a kernel compiled from git. A series
of experiments (following Matt's instructions) have determined that
commenting out the call to setup_efi_pc() in eboot.c makes the kernels
boot.

I would be happy to provide any further information which might be
helpful or to run further tests.

CD: 14ms