Andreas Friedrich | 12 Dec 17:40 2011

Re: REGRESSION 3.1.5: auto poweron after 5 minutes

On Mo, Dez 12, 2011 at 02:51:39 +0530, Rabin Vincent wrote:

Hello Rabin,

> (CCing the lists)
>
> On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 15:09:08 +0100, Andreas Friedrich wrote:
> > with kernel 3.1.5 I've got a problem on my Toshiba Tecra notebook:
> >
> > After shuting down my system as usual, it powers on automatically
> > after about 5 minutes. With kernel 3.1.4 the system stays off.
> >
> > After wondering around some time I read something about "ACPI RTC
> > wakealarm" and found the description of your fix in the changelog of
> > kernel 3.1.5:
> >
> >   commit 0cbc008c56f7b4a11ba6fe80e196d7ab322baabf
> >   Author: Rabin Vincent <rabin.vincent <at> stericsson.com>
> >   Date:   Tue Nov 22 11:03:14 2011 +0100
> >
> >       rtc: Disable the alarm in the hardware
> >
> >       commit c0afabd3d553c521e003779c127143ffde55a16f upstream.
> >
> >       Currently, the RTC code does not disable the alarm in the hardware.
> >
> >       This means that after a sequence such as the one below (the files are in the
> >       RTC sysfs), the box will boot up after 2 minutes even though we've
> >       asked for the alarm to be turned off.
> >
> >           # echo $((`cat since_epoch`)+120) > wakealarm
> >           # echo 0 > wakealarm
> >           # poweroff
> >
> >       Fix this by disabling the alarm when there are no timers to run.
> >
> > So may be your fix caused the opposite reaction on my system. Have you
> > any ideas to fix this problem?
>
> That patch, in order to disable the alarm, calls set_alarm() on the
> RTC driver with alarm->enabled as zero (and a time value that is five
> minutes ahead).
>
> Perhaps the ACPI RTC driver enables the alarm even when alarm->enable
> is zero?  There appears to be handling for this in rtc-cmos.c (I assume
> that's what is being used) but I don't know enough about that hardware
> to say if that's sufficient or not.

I've added some system info:
   dmesg.txt
   linux-3.1.5.config.txt
   lshw.txt
   lspci-vvv.txt
   proc_driver_rtc.txt

I'm using a vanilla kernel without modules. Please tell me if I can
help to find the problem (enable kernel debugs or something else).

Regards Andreas
Attachment (auto_poweron_3.1.5.tar.gz): application/x-compressed-tar, 52 KiB

Gmane