From: Mike Galbraith <efault <at> gmx.de>
Subject: Re: changing timeslice in linux
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.kernel
Date: Monday 20th August 2012 05:54:10 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Sun, 2012-08-19 at 11:58 -0700, Xin Tong wrote:
> I have 2 questions about linux 2.6 x86_64 scheduler.
>
> 1. is the default scheduling algorithm SCHED_NORMAL in linux ?

Yes.

> 2. how do i change the time slice in linux source code ?

You shouldn't need to.  You can tune "slice" by adjusting
sched_latency_ns and sched_min_granularity_ns, but note that "slice" is
not a fixed quantum.  Also note that CFS preemption decisions are based
upon instantaneous state.  A task may have received a full (variable)
"slice" of CPU time, but preemption will be triggered only if a more
deserving task is available, so a "slice" is not the "max uninterrupted
CPU time" that you may expect it to be.. but it is somewhat similar.

-Mike

CD: 2ms