Jacques Goldberg | 6 Mar 21:22 2006

Re: Please help!

David,
Your modem is a Conexant modem model HSF
Your Linux distribution is Ubuntu 5.10
Your kernel is 2.6.12-9-386
This is all you need to know to follow the instructions in the attached
file. Do follow them to quickly find what you need.
You will reach the Web page
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads.php
where the last in the Distributions list is your Ubuntu. Click on it,
download the file for 2.6.12-9
On the left side of the page, in the HSF area, there is a link to
installation which will guide you step by step.

Jacques

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/packages/smartlink/

> [...]
>   Invalid module format!!"
> See http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fifth/msg04252.html
>
> Kernel-header resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!
> Checking /usr/src/ for compressed compressed headers or kernel-source
>
> Kernel-header resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!
> If compressed resources are present, expand and then configure them following DriverCompiling.txt
> They may have to be installed.
> Within your Linux distributions' installation CD or online resource (and mirrows), search for :
>   Distribution  PackageName			OnLine
>   ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>  Debian  		kernel-headers-2.6.12-9-386    	http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages or install CD
>  Ubuntu 		linux-headers-2.6.12-9-386		http://http://packages.ubuntu.com/ or install CD
>  Xandros
>                         kernel-kbuild-3.6 are additionally required by  Debian, Ubuntu and Xandros
>  Mandrake 	kernel-source-2.6.12-9-386	   If not present on install CDs search
>  	http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/mandrake/official/10.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/
> 	http://rpms.mandrakeclub.com/rpms/mandrake/official/LByName.html, or other mirrors.
>   SuSE		kernel-source-2.6.12-9-386		 , kernels are named k_deflt
>   FedoraCore4  kernel-devel-2.6.12-9-386 or kernel-smp-devel-2.6.12-9-386 on install CD1 or CD4
> One of which must be installed if compiling drivers to match kernel 2.6.12-9-386 proves necessary.
> Within the output Modem/ folder, read CompilingDrivers.txt for details.
>

>  A /dev/modem symbolic link is not set.
>
> The following information blocks just query some ppp support items.

>    grep -rs ppp /etc/modprobe.*
> -------------------------------------
> /etc/modprobe.d/aliases:alias net-pf-24 pppoe
> /etc/modprobe.d/aliases:alias ppp-compress-18 ppp_mppe_mppc
> -------------------------------------
>  Resident PPP support modules are properly uncompressed .
>  COMM services are not active
> Be sure to read the section about ppp related modules and aliases in Modem/YourModem.txt
>  ---- dmesg queries -------
> [4294668.325000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] (IRQs 3 4 5 7 10 11 12 14 15) *0, disabled.
> [4294668.358000] audit: initializing netlink socket (disabled)
> [4294674.125000] hdb: DMA disabled
> [4294736.145000] ibm_acpi: ec object not found
> [4294751.587000] apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16ac)
> [4294751.587000] apm: overridden by ACPI.
>
>   pppd version 2.4.2 may not be fully compatible with 2.6.8 kernel releases.
>   If an initial CONNECT is achieved without PPP being subsequently established,
>   drop back to a 2.4.1 version.  This has worked for PCTEL AMR modem users,
>   supported by the http://www.smlink.com  slmodem software.
>   Check pppd version with:
>     pppd --version
>   See  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/archive-fourth/msg03167.html
>
>   ubuntu is not yet providing pre-compiled drivers for WinModems

 If you do not already know, find out in your ModemData.txt if your modem is of
type HSF or of type HCF.
 In the following, HxF stands for the one to be used.
 Note down your distribution, your processor, and your kernel (shown in the
 System Information section of ModemData.txt).
-Go to http://www.linuxant.com/drivers
-Find the HxF menu in the left part of the screen.
-Read README.
-Read INSTALLATION.
-Click DOWNLOAD.
-Accept conditions.
-Find text: "You can download HxF modem packages from the driver
            download page." and click on that link.
-Since you have noted your distribution, your processor, and your kernel
 (shown in the System Information section of ModemData.txt), identify the
 matching file.
-Download the matching file.
-Read again and, if you read this text under Windows, print the installation
 instructions matching the kind of driver file which you downloaded.
-If downloaded elsewhere (Windows on same computer or using an other computer),
 copy the downloaded file to your Linux working space.
-Now, under Linux, just follow the Linuxant installation instructions.

 NOTE:  the space on a floppy disk is sufficient for the driver file. This
is the simplest way to download under Windows on the same computer or to
download on an other computer.
More tips to transfer files are available in
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/first.html

Gmane