drlizau | 6 Mar 02:43 2005
Picon

from the forum - patch attached

Fix for k3b issue (kernel patch)

Submitted by cb9fl on Sun, 03/06/2005 - 05:47. Applications
After searching for a while I found this fix for a problem I was having with
k3b. Can someone please take a look at it and tell me what you think?

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110599420505734&w=2

Hello,

I use K3B with growisofs to burn DVDs. After boot I can burn a DVD as a
normal user. But only the first one. When I want to burn another one,
K3B complains that it is unable to prevent media removal. Then only root
can burn DVDs.
The bug is in the kernel in the function verify_command.
When a process opens the DVD recorder with O_RDONLY and issues a command
which is marked safe_for_write, this function is supposed to just return
-EPERM and do nothing more. However, there is a bug that causes the
command to be marked as CMD_WARNED. From now on no non-privileged
process is able to issue this command even if it correctly opens the
device with O_RDWR - because the command is no longer marked as
CMD_WRITE_SAFE.
A patch is attached.

Michal

["verify_command.patch" (text/x-patch)]

--- linux-2.6.11-mm1/drivers/block/scsi_ioctl.c.orig    2005-01-17
20:42:40.000000000 +0100
+++ linux-2.6.11-mm1/drivers/block/scsi_ioctl.c      2005-01-17
20:43:14.000000000 +0100
         if (type & CMD_WRITE_SAFE) {
            if (file->f_mode & FMODE_WRITE)
                         return 0;
-      }
-
-     if (!(type & CMD_WARNED)) {
+    } else if (!(type & CMD_WARNED)) {
              cmd_type[cmd[0]] = CMD_WARNED;
              printk(KERN_WARNING "scsi: unknown opcode 0x%02x\n", cmd[0]);
       }

BOFH excuse #83:

Support staff hung over, send aspirin and come back LATER.

Gmane