From: Matthew Saltzman <mjs <at> clemson.edu>
Subject: Re: Problem seeing PDF files with firefox
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
Date: Tuesday 1st November 2011 23:34:46 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 21:46 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 21:38, Timothy Murphy <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Normally if I click on a link in firefox to a PDF file,
> > I am asked if I want to see it or save it.
> > But recently this has stopped working;
> > if I click on such a file now, nothing happens.
> >
> > Eg, google just brought up the URL
> > <http://www.ma.rhul.ac.uk/~uvah099/Maths/LinkingCosets4.pdf>,
> > but when I click on this choice nothing happens -
> > the screen remains blank.
> >
> > I have no problem retrieving the file with wget.
> >
> > Has anyone come across this problem?
> >
> > I'm running Fedora-15, which I keep updated.
> > I see that I updated firefox a couple of days ago,
> > which may be when the problem started:
> > -------------------------------------
> > Oct 30 12:09:50 Updated: firefox-7.0.1-3.fc15.i686
> > -------------------------------------
> >
> > Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
> >

> Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Applications and remove the associations for
PDF.

AH, thank you.  I've been wondering about this.

The association for PDF was "Always ask", but it always attempted to use
mozplugger.  The mozplugger option is the one that attempts to open the
PDF in a new window in the browser, and that's the one that fails,
usually showing a blank page (except the first time I use it after
starting a session, sometimes).  Choosing evince always opens the PDF in
a separate evince app.  That's a passable workaround, but having
mozplugger work would be kind of nice...

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences