From: Alan Cox <alan <at> lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general
Date: Friday 1st June 2012 11:35:32 UTC (over 4 years ago)
> Even if this goes extremely bad, firmwares will be hacked.  The tech
> world always goes on with technical solutions, whether the politics
> follow or not.  I mean this thing affects *everyone*, it's not a lost
fight.

Oh certainly: one of the nastier effects of this (and it didn't start
with EFI and 'secure' boot but with Android) is that people are now
hoarding kernel security holes rather than reporting them. Previously bad
guys hoard them, good ones fixed them. Now everyone is hoarding them so
end user security will suffer drastically.

> > I am sure MS will use this for the Windows 9 era to say "See secure
boot
> > works for everyone, now make it mandatory". Matthew Garrett
> > unintentionally just gave them everything they needed to continue that
> > plan.
>
> I think that's a little fallacious and a big shortcut.

I've spent over ten years watching this particular game through things
like Palladium and other regulatory arsekicking along the way. The next
step being worked through standards bodies involves application layer
lockdown and extending lockdown to the web (things like making trusted
hardware in the system sign a certificate to prove the web server is
talking to a locked down device) - so as to shut out things like unwanted
copying by end users.

Alan