From: Moritz Struebe <Moritz.Struebe <at> informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
Subject: Re: GSOC: Sound
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.terminal-server.x2go.devel
Date: Wednesday 13th February 2013 15:05:50 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On 2013-02-13 15:37, Stefan Baur wrote:
> Am 13.02.2013 15:21, schrieb Moritz Struebe:
>
>> I currently don't really see an long-term alternative, but adding
>> compression to the pulse-tunnel module.
>
> SPICE (http://www.spice-space.org/) has
been mentioned here on this
> list occasionally, though as a non-coder I cannot make any statement
> regarding its suitability for X2Go.
>
> The colorful graphics on their web page show a virtual sound device,
> so I'd assume it is possible to transmit sound over the SPICE protocol.

As to my understanding the problem of spice is, that it's designed as
virtual hardware. Thus even then pulse connects to your virtual sound
card. Thus we need a spice-kernel-sound-driver which AFAIK is not planed.

> Plus it would probably free us from the Nomachine codebase currently
> used for image compression.  Again, that is *if* it lives up to its
> promise - I haven't tried it myself yet.

The part we do want to use is xspice [1], but AFAIK it is not yet in a
state that we want to use it (I currently don't have the resources to
verify that). But here my guts tell me, that it's less hassle to improve
pulse than to get sound into that module - but who knows. ;)

Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : [email protected]
WWW   : http://www4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/~morty