From: Stefan Baur <newsgroups.mail2 <at> stefanbaur.de>
Subject: Re: fuse and X2Go printing
Newsgroups: gmane.linux.terminal-server.x2go.devel
Date: Wednesday 20th February 2013 10:16:10 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Am 20.02.2013 11:06, schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:
> I would prefer the solution suggested by Morty. Actually, I already
> thought about it and i want include it in new implementation of
> x2goclient. X2goclient will simply check a spool directory on server and
> download a print jobs in PDF format via existing libssh connection.

Again, this sounds like unneccessary overhead.  You're turning a stream
of data into a file, you need to have some sort of monitoring system
(either polling regularly or triggered by the change to the filesystem)
and what for - to turn the file into the stream of data that it
originally was.  With all this happening on the server.

> This
> solution is much simpler, no need a cups, lpr, or ssh daemon running on
> a client and implementation is just the same for all operating systems.

Well, you need the server-side cups or you wouldn't be able to print,
with either solution.
And my previous post contained a solution where you would only turn the
data stream into a file after it arrives on the client, not on the
server as well.
This would work without *additional* cups, lpr or ssh on the client - it
uses whatever the client (Linux, Mac OS and Windows) normally uses for
printing and only needs an open tunneled port in the existing SSH
connection.

Though, to be honest, I would simply connect to the existing CUPS via
tunnel if the client uses Linux or Mac OS.  No need to add complexity
there.

-Stefan

CD: 3ms