Mike Gabriel | 13 Nov 08:29 2013
Picon

Re: SupeReNicer support for X2Go Server 4.1.0.0-preview

Hi all,

nice discussion going on...

On  Di 12 Nov 2013 19:31:38 CET, Orion Poplawski wrote:

> On 11/05/2013 09:12 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> the 4.1.0.0-preview (x2goserver.git master) just received a code patch from
>> Guangzhou Nianguan Electronics Technology Co.Ltd, an open source company in
>> Asia that plans to use X2Go for school setups in areas where
>> electricity is a
>> rare resource. They plan to build cost-effective and
>> energy-effective embedded
>> thin clients running X2Go.
>>
>> The patch we received adds a feature to X2Go Server called
>> SupeReNicer [1] and
>> it is a tool that hooks into x2gocleansessions. It renices
>> suspended sessions
>> to nice level 19 and renices them again to nice level 0 once they
>> change there
>> status from suspended to running.
>
> Is there any evidence that nicing something actually save energy?  I
> wouldn't have thought so.

The intention of the renicing code is rather about squeezing more
users on one server than reducing power consumption.

If anyone indeed does some power measuring, please keep us in the loop
about your results.

Mike

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby