Benjamin L. Russell | 5 Jun 08:00 2009
Picon

Re: Any plans for a Qi Box?

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 09:12:49 +0100, Henry Weller
<HWeller0@...> wrote:

>> Along the lines of Lispbox (see
>> http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/) and Clojure Box (see
>> http://clojure.bighugh.com/), are there any plans for a SLIME-based
>> (see http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/) Qi Box?  It seems that Qi
>> could use a more convenient development environment.
>
>I agree.  I am planning to write the swank slime back-end for Qi but for now I
>am enhancing the qi-mode to get a better feel for the problems.  The first
>problem I hit is that the Qi functions are not documented like CL functions
>so the useful interactive documentation system in slime or qi-mode for that
>matter do not work.  Mark has kindly provided the `document' and `documentation'
>functions which I am using to add documentation strings to all the Qi functions
>and I have added calls to `documentation' in qi-mode so I can view them.  I will
>also add an interface to the tooltip system I am working on so the function
>documentation will pop-up on request.  I am also writing wrapper functions for
>`define' and `declare' so that documentation strings can be added conveniently
>to new functions in as similar a way to CL as possible.  All this is to make Qi
>more slime-friendly.  Once all this is done I will have a stab at the Qi-slime
>interface, but there is some way to go yet.

That sounds great; I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome!

For your information, there is also a Gauchebox (although it is not
SLIME-based) (see
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=25227&package_id=275266).

When creating Qi Box, two aspects that would be appreciated would be
the following:

     (1) A basis on EmacsW32 (see "EmacsW32 Home Page" at
http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html), which is a collection of
Emacs Lisp and MS Windows programs to enhance the user experience for
Windows users

     (2) A thematic Qi Start Menu/Desktop logo

(1) helps makes Emacs more palatable to users who normally work in
Windows and are not used to Emacs.  There is even an Emacs+EmacsW32
Setup Wizard described under "The EmacsW32 Install Wizard" at the
above-mentioned "EmacsW32 Home Page" site.

(2) was apparently ignored in Lispbox, but done well in Clojure Box,
which has a logo distinct from that of Clojure itself and which is
essentially a white cursive E (apparently for "Emacs") slightly curved
to the right in a golden circle.  This is apparently a variation of
the logo for the "Patched" version of Emacs (see under "Patched or
Unpatched Emacs?" at the above-mentioned "EmacsW32 Home Page" site),
which is itself identical to the regular GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2006-12-11 on COMPUTER logo, except that it
is colored gold instead of purple.  Perhaps Qi Box could have a
similar logo, except using the current logo for the Qilang Google
Group (see the logo in the upper-left corner of "Qilang | Google
Groups" at http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Qilang; alternatively, the
same logo is available at "Qi Language Logo" at
http://xahlee.org/emacs/qi_logo.html) on a similar gold circle
background.

We could also decide on which logo using the Condorcet Method (see
"Condorcet method - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method), in which the candidate
who would beat each of the other candidates in a run-off election, if
such an election were to occur, wins, even if that candidate is not
ranked by any one voter in first place.  This method was used (see
http://www.haskell.org/logos/poll.html) to elect the current Haskell
logo, for instance.  Such an election could probably be set up just by
following the instructions at the following Web site:

Condorcet Internet Voting Service: Create a New Poll
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs/civs_create.html

(For more information, see the following Web site:

Condorcet Internet Voting Service
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html
)

The only problem with such an election is that the winning entry,
being decided essentially on the basis of being least disliked instead
of most liked, is likely to appeal to the lowest common denominator of
artistic sense among the voters, so that the more varied the tastes of
the voters, the less distinctive the winning entry is likely to be. So
maybe we should first let Mark Tarver choose his favorite logo, and
then vote on his decision:  That logo gets selected if a majority of
anonymous voters like it, and rejected otherwise?

Any other suggestions?

-- Benjamin L. Russell

http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
-- Matsuo Basho^