vasil | 27 Mar 23:54 2012
Picon

Re: Fuctional Programming in Qi, and message boards

Did Bjarne Stroustrup give his books to someone for free?
Go to his personal site and try to find free books:
http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/books.html

But, returning to FPQi:
you have ability to read FPQi book on-line and to learn, haven't you?

By developing programming languages one cannot earn much money. And for
Mark there are two possible ways to get money to support his work:
1. try to sell his books and
2. ask for support from community.

With Qi he went first way, with Shen he goes second one.

Shen is open source, free (see Shen license
http://www.shenlanguage.org/license.html) and already has a lot of
documentation with samples (see:
http://www.shenlanguage.org/learn-shen/index.html for docs and
https://github.com/vasil-sd/shen-libs for libraries and code samples)

Shen community is open to everyone: if you need on-line pdf with Shen
documentation - please, start to learn Shen and to write book for
novices. After you've learned Shen rather good, you'll have a good book
for novices. And you'll be able to contribute to project by publishing
this book on-line.

But I think that it is wrong to insist that Mark must spend his time and
efforts to make pdf of FPQi book and place it on-line.
There are a lot of more urgent work for him in Shen project.

About community you describe: it is an idealized view, but step by step
we go here.

There are a lot of libraries already. There are several serious ports of
Shen to different platforms. There are a lot of documentation.

Do not forget that Shen is very young project. And there are not many
developers involved in the project to move project to high level with
video lessons, etc, at once.

You may support Shen (if you really interested in) by many ways:
1. Learn Shen and write articles, books, whatever you want;
2. Write critical articles, analyze weak and strong sides of Shen;
3. Write libraries, programs and so on and publish them;
4. Donate to support Mark Tarver's work;
5. Buy FPQi book (Qi and Shen have 80% in common) to support Mark
Tarver's work;
6...
7...
8... there are a lot of ways to help project...

Vasil