From: Anton Kovalenko <anton <at> sw4me.com>
Subject: Re: Unicode character misbehavior?
Newsgroups: gmane.lisp.slime.devel
Date: Friday 28th October 2011 23:48:22 UTC (over 6 years ago)
"Jeffrey Cunningham"  writes:

> That's it. When I do this the inferior Lisp process is terminated "by
> remote peer".
>
> (let ((dangerous-string "This is a smiley-face: ☺"))
>   (print "Important safety tip: don't do this."))

You need M-x customize-variable  slime-net-coding-system :
set slime-net-coding-system to something like utf-8-unix.

P.S.

What's described here is not a rare problem, and it would be great to do
something about it within SLIME. Negotiating the best coding system with
SWANK shouldn't be hard to implement: it's possible to change coding
system of a process in emacs after it's started.

--
Regards, Anton Kovalenko
+7(916)345-34-02 | Elektrostal' MO, Russia