From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam <at> courier-mta.com>
Subject: Re: IMAP Folders and the ampersand
Newsgroups: gmane.mail.imap.courier.general
Date: Friday 31st March 2006 23:25:48 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Michael Nguyen writes:

> I noticed something in Courier...  Let's say I make an IMAP folder called

> "Bonnie & Clyde".  The folder gets created as "Bonnie &- Clyde", however
the
> folder is returned as "Bonnie & Clyde" in the IMAP folder list.  I assume

> that the &- is some sort of escaping that's done.  So I have a question:
>
>  - Are there any other characters that Courier does this to?  If so, what

> are they?

It's not Courier that's doing that.  This is a convention used by IMAP
clients, and defined by the specification, for defining folder names with
Unicode characters.  "&" is normally followed by a base64-type
bastardization that encodes Unicode characters.  "&-" is used to escape the

special meaning of the ampersand, to specify a literal ampersand that
belongs in the folder's name.

It's the client that modifies the folder name and sends &- to the server.
The server may, but is not required, to validate folder names.

Unless you want to use Unicode characters in folder names, &- is all you
have to worry about.

CD: 4ms