From: Ben West <me <at> benwest.name>
Subject: Re: Recommendation for maintaining accurate local times on nodes?
Newsgroups: gmane.network.olsr.user
Date: Saturday 3rd March 2012 07:57:44 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the response.  I do have the full ntpdate client installed on
these nodes. The problem seems to be that ntpdate only (by default) syncs
on power-up, so any nodes that don't quickly get a default route set by
OLSRd have ntpdate time out.

A simple solution seems like it would be to run ntpdate periodically,
though I'm not sure if running as often as hourly may interfere with the
timestamps on the HNAs (e.g. introduce excessive jitter).  The onboard
clocks on the UBNT radios are not that precise; I've seen a 1 minute or so
drift develop over a day.