From: L. Aaron Kaplan <aaron <at> lo-res.org>
Subject: Heads up, wireless battlemesh v6 upcoming, mark the date
Newsgroups: gmane.network.olsr.user
Date: Friday 8th February 2013 10:46:19 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hello dear OLSR users and developers,

The Wireless Battle of the Mesh[1] is an event that aims to bring together
people from across the globe to test the performance of different routing
protocols for ad-hoc networks, like Babel, B.A.T.M.A.N., BMX, OLSR, and
802.11s. Of course, new protocols (working on OpenWRT[2]) are always
welcome!

This year the even will take place from Monday 15th till Sunday 21st of
April
at the University of Aalborg, Denmark.

The event originally went back to an intensive discussion between some
BATMAN
folks and me (on the OLSR side) about which routing protocol approach was
truly the better choice specifically for community wireless networks.

According to my memory, in response to this mail exchange, Xavier and a few

others from the openwrt team initiated the first wireless battle mesh: a
week of
testing protocols against each other at TMPLab in Paris.

Of course, we never came to a decisive conclusion, but it turned out to
be really fun anyway :) The discussions were super helpful in order to
enhance
all participating protocols.
But that was then, things evolved since then.

In the last years, the WBM events have been growing steadily into a
successful
hackathon for community wireless networks across the world.

If you decide to participate, you will a) meet OLSR developers b) be able
discuss and test your meshing ideas with like-minded people c) have lots of

fun on the way. And it is a hell of a learning experience.

And new community wireless networks get created on the way. For example, ~
two
years ago, Arig [3] started to appeared after Amir visited the WBM in
Catalunya.
Congratulations!

OLSR.org will support the event by:

	• help to promote the event
	• bring members of the community to the event
	• give talks about advancement of our community in certain aspects
	• provide hardware for the routing protocol testing

May your packets never get lost, may your TTL be high enough to reach
Aalborg,
Aaron.
(for the OLSR.org team)

[1] http://battlemesh.org/