From: Craig Walker <craig <at> nutrio.com>
Subject: TAP-WIN32 problems on Windows 2003
Newsgroups: gmane.network.openvpn.user
Date: Tuesday 20th June 2006 20:36:27 UTC (over 11 years ago)
Our website runs on Apache Tomcat/IIS on three load-balanced Windows 2003
(SP1)
servers. Yesterday, we began installing OpenVPN on these servers.

We noticed that, once we installed OpenVPN 2.0.7 on a server, it began
having
problems serving pages. After some time of normal activity, it would
suddenly
stop returning pages to the user; instead, the user's browser would just
"spin"
while showing a blank page. After a minute of this, the server would
suddenly
serve 45 pages all at once (presumably all other page requests were simply
dropped; it's hard to say).

The problem is definitely with OpenVPN; this problem did not start before
we
installed OpenVPN, and did not affect the other (otherwise identical)
servers
that did not have OpenVPN. When we uninstalled it, the problem disappeared.

Furthermore, it seems like the problem is specific to the virtual network
adapter installed by OpenVPN. When we tried installing it on the second
server
(to verify that it wasn't specific to the first server) the problem cropped
up
right away after installation... before we had started the OpenVPN service
or
done anything else. We didn't experiment with adding or removing the TAP
adapter
manually as we didn't want to interrupt web service any more than we
already had.

The really weird thing is that it didn't affect general network
connectivity (at
least not that we saw); we had Remote Desktop connections running the whole
time
and they didn't waver at all. The only effects we could see was to IIS
and/or
Tomcat.

We haven't yet determined whether this is specific to Windows 2003, or even
specific to our live system setup.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas about what could be
causing
this.

Thanks,

Craig Walker