adam hyde | 2 Jul 18:11 2007

Re: cc-by-sa and gpl

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 16:43 +0100, Andres Guadamuz wrote:
> Dear Adam,
>
> As far as I know, there is an official list of compatible licences, which is
> empty at the moment. See:
>
> http://creativecommons.org/compatiblelicenses

thanks - thats an interesting resource. It states:

"Creative Commons approves licenses as compatible when they, at a
minimum, contain terms that have the same purpose, meaning and effect as
the key license elements of a particular Creative Commons license and
when a license explicitly permits the relicensing of derivatives of
works made available under that license under a particular Creative
Commons license."

It would seem the GPL would not be 'compatible' under these terms as the
GPL does not explicitly permit: "the relicensing of derivatives of works
made available under that license under a particular Creative Commons
license"

The gpl does not do this. However, how does the CC-GPL fit into this
picture? :
http://creativecommons.org/license/cc-gpl

Its the GPL with a CC wrapper...is the CC-GPL considered to be living
within the CC family of licenses? If so, then the CC-GPL is 'compatible'
and the question is answered.

is there anyone that can clarify this?

Just to retour...My specific question is:

Can content under the CC-BY-SA (3.0) be distributed under the GPL? ie.
Is the GPL or 'CC-GPL' a 'similar' or 'compatible' license as per the
license statement :
"you may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a
compatible license."

anyone want to make me a happy camper with a categorical yes or no? ;)

The reason _why_ this is an interesting question for me is that
documentation about free software is often written in CC BY-SA. If this
material can be then distributed under the GPL then the docs could be
distributed with source code without causing developers extra license
headaches.

adam

> Best Regards,
>
> Andres
>
> -----------------
> Andres Guadamuz
> AHRC Research Centre for Studies in
> Intellectual Property and Technology Law
> Old College, South Bridge
> Edinburgh EH8 9YL
>
> Tel: 44 (0)131 6509699
> Fax: 44 (0)131 6506317
> a.guadamuz@...
> http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/ahrc/
>
> IP/IT/Medical Law LLM by Distance Learning
> http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/distancelearning/

adam hyde