Wes Felter | 5 Jan 21:50 2004

Re: Canoga Security Design

On Jan 5, 2004, at 12:55 PM, Kaitlin Duck Sherwood wrote:

> Wes Felter wrote:
>
>> On Jan 2, 2004, at 5:34 PM, Chih-Chao Lam wrote:
>> > [...] Will we support filter sharing in Canoga?
>>
>> I don't think anyone has ever done this, so what's the use case?
>
> This is something that I'm pushing for.  Filters are very useful for
> grouping messages together, but they are a little tricky (especially
> if you're not good at formal procedural logic).    Bonnie Nardi, in _A
> Small Matter of Programming_, found that lots of people *use*
> spreadsheet macros but that very few people *write* them -- people
> share them a lot.   I think, in a similar way, that filters would be
> more useful to more people if you could share them.
> For example, only one person needs to write a filter to tag all
> messages from inside mycompany.com with the category "Internal".  Only
> one person on a mailing list needs to write a filter for recognizing
> that mailing list...

OK, I guess I didn't really understand what "filter sharing in Canoga"
meant. I think *of course* you should allow filters to be shared, but
maybe Chandler itself shouldn't have features for doing the sharing.
Put an import/export feature into Chandler and let people take care of
distributing and finding filters out of band. Then the security problem
is reduced to the same as any software: don't install it if you don't
trust it.

Wes Felter - wesley@... - http://felter.org/wesley/