From: Danese Cooper <dcooper-AeOJrEpdGNeGglJvpFV4uA <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: [wikimediaannounce-l] Rob Lanphier joins Wikimedia Foundation as Engineering Programs Manager for General Engineering
Newsgroups: gmane.org.wikimedia.community.announce
Date: Thursday 1st July 2010 18:11:23 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Hello all,

I'm very happy to announce Rob Lanphier (user:RobLa) in his new role
working as a full-time Engineering Programs Manager reporting to me,
effective yesterday (June 30th).  Rob first came to the attention of
Wikimedia Foundation during the CTO search, and he has been working under
contract to Wikimedia Foundation for a some time now, acting as backup EPM
for the trial rollout of Pending Changes and also performing an audit of
EPM tools currently in use at the Foundation and in the larger FOSS world
to determine the best tooling strategy to increase both reliability and
transparency of our engineering planning.

In his new role, which is also new in the organization, Rob will be working
with me to build out core services that all of our engineering efforts rely
on (such as Software Quality Assurance, Documentation, Release Management&
 Analytics).  Using EPMs to assist the engineering teams in gaining the
best outcome in their efforts to serve the Wikimedia Community was
pioneered by Naoko Komura on the recently concluded User Experience project
and its a practice we plan to broaden over the coming year.  We would
usually expect WMF positions to be posted and boarded, but in this case Rob
had responded to a previous job posting and he was identified then as
someone who would be of exceptional value to the team. I felt it would be
inauthentic to hold his hire for the formality of posting.

Rob's longtime interest in Wikipedia (he is editor number 96), his long
history of managing high-profile open source engineering projects (he was
at RealNetworks and Linden Labs before joining us), and his general focus
on patiently working through every imaginable detail using methods that are
both effective and community-inclusive make him ideal for this new role.
Rob has also proven to be very effective at working semi-remotely; he comes
into the office in San Francisco every other week and lives the rest of the
time in Seattle, Washington.  As we grow the Tech team I believe it will be
advantageous for us to consciously create distributed teams both to mirror
the composition of the larger Wikimedia Community and to encourage even
more collaborative working patterns.

Rob has been a great addition to our team in the time he's been with us,
and I look forward to his continued contributions. Please join me in
welcoming and congratulating him.

Danese Cooper
CTO, Wikimedia Foundation
[email protected]