Konstantin Klubnichkin | 8 Feb 12:45 2012
Picon

Re: STM32W

Hello, Etienne!

Thank you for the reply.

Well, in more details, there are 3 issues:
1. The latest stm32w_flasher for Linux (version 2.x.x.x) is not working at all on my Ubuntu computer
2. The previous version of stm32w_flasher (version 1.x.x.x) starts up but able to flash only FTDI-based boards
3. Nothing works on MB951 board (except of the nodetest application from the EmberZNet SDK)

You right, FTDI boards are recognized by FTDI driver and named ttyUSBxx, the STM32F-based looks like ttyACM0, but there are differences inside.

Also if you use 2.x.x.x version of the stm32w_flasher with the "old" board, the first thing it does is an upgrade of the STM32F(?? not sure, but looks like) firmware.
After this upgrade the USB device become composite with HID and USB serial devices. And after upgrade I'm unable to flash it even in virtual machine, have to reboot to WinXP.
With "old" STM32F firmware it recognized as composite device with one serial USB, and this I'm able to flash using virtual machine.

I have no idea what is inside the firmware of the STM32F, and there are no sources for it, or I failed to find.  The best I can do if I by incident the STM32F firmware is upgraded - just plug the board in with the button pressed. After this I "speak" not to STM32W, but to STM32F, and I can xmodem  STM32F firmware into it. BTW, again, it's not documented or mentioned anywhere, but STM32F firmware can be found in CompositeForSTM32W.bin file near stm32w_flasher.

All this leads me to the idea that it will be easier to reverse engineer the protocol between STM32F and stm32w_flasher and write a flasher myself, than make this work using vendor-provided tools.
That was about the stm32w_flasher mystery.

Regarding the MB951 mystery - I have no idea how to use it. I can flash Contiki inside, but it doesn't work. Actually I've switched to Contiki after failed try to burn pre-compiled EmberZNet example into it (stack claims that it is not compatible with the device). I can't debug it because there are no soldering pads or something to connect JTAG to. So now the best application for the stick is to put it on the Christmas tree...

Could you please notice the stm32w_flasher version? I mean the one that work under Linux with STM32F-based boards? And  the PORT environment variable - how did you find it?
Thank you!