Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes | 2 Dec 02:10 2004

Re: IPC::Run test hang under 5.8.5 and 5.8.6

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 07:45:56PM +0100, "Gerrit P. Haase" <gerrit <at> familiehaase.de> wrote:

> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>
> > Upgrading from my 5.8.4 to 5.8.6, I found this.  cygwin dll is 1.5.12.
> >
> > IPC::Run is hanging in t/run after test 62.  The hang happens in this:
> >
> > $ perl5.8.6 -MIPC::Run=run -we'$in="-"x 20000 ."end\n";$out="REPLACE ME"; run([
> > $^X, ("-e", qq!print"="x20000;<STDIN>;!)],\$in,\$out)'

I should have clarified that IPC::Run is a CPAN module, not in the perl core,
and that despite this one test failure, it seems to be working fine.

I'm going to try to reduce the problem to a C equivalent and see if that
sheds any light.

> > but not under my 5.8.4 build.  The cygwin release of 5.8.5 also hangs.
> > Not sure what to make of this; there have been some pipe changes in cygwin
> > recently, but I'd expect 5.8.4 to fail also if it were due to those.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas or advice?
> >

> Remove 5.8.5 from the distribtion and release 5.8.4 as stable and don't
> update until perl is fixed.

Yikes, don't do that.  At least not without further investigation.  I
now see that 5.8.1 through 5.8.3 are also having the IPC::Run failure;
I suspect that my 5.8.4 build works is either just chance or some
configure option I set differently, and that the true fault lies with
something about my system or with cygwin.

> I have not investigated much about the recent perl problems, there are
> lots of threads tests failing too so in this state no update can be
> released.  If I build without threads then the IPC issues are remaining.
> BTW I saw more than just one error with IPC tests but no hangs.

1.5.11 had thread problems; 1.5.12 does not for me.  What are you
seeing?

WRT IPC tests, are these core tests that are failing?  Do you have
cygserver running and "server" in the CYGWIN variable?  If not, some
tests can be expected to fail.

I don't have any core tests failing on 5.8.6 except io/tell.t test 28
(which patches 23491 and 23492 quieten) and a Cwd test of
Cwd::_perl_abs_path on a symlink, where _perl_abs_path is a pure perl
function used by some platforms (but not cygwin) as Cwd::abs_path.
Neither of these tests are of any real significance.

> 5.8.5 was compiled without IPC support.

What do you mean IPC support?  IPC::SysV appears to be there,
and there's no reason to disable IPC support that I know of.

> So I would remove it until it is fixed, but removing threads support
> would break binary compatibility once again.  However I tend to
> remove it for now and try to get it fixed for perl 5.10.

Again, I don't see any thread problems except on 1.5.11.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/ndFolB/TM