From: Robert Watson <rwatson <at> FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle
Newsgroups: gmane.os.freebsd.devel.hackers
Date: Wednesday 18th January 2012 11:47:24 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Doug Barton wrote:

> The other thing I think has been missing (as several have pointed out in
> this thread already) is any sort of planning for what should be in the
next
> release. The current time-based release schedule is (in large part) a
> reaction to the problems we had in getting 5.0 out the door. However I
think
> the pendulum has swung *way* too far in the wrong direction, such that we

> are now afraid to put *any* kind of plan in place for fear that it will
> cause the release schedule to slip. Aside from the obvious folly in that
> (lack of) plan, it fails to take into account the fact that the release
> schedules already slip, often comically far out into the future, and that

> the results are often worse than they would have been otherwise.

Agreed entirely.  There's been an over-swing caused by the diagnosis "it's
like herding cats" into "cats can't be herded, so why try?".  Projects like

FreeBSD don't agree if there's no consensus on interesting problems to
solve,
directions to run in, etc.  The history of FreeBSD is also full of examples
of
successful collaborative development in which developers decide, together,
on
a direction and run that way.  Sure, it's not the same as "we are paying
you
to do X", but I think many FreeBSD developers like the idea that they are
working on something larger than just their own micro-project, and would
subscribe (and contribute) to a sensible plan.  In fact, I think we'd find
that if we were a bit more forthcoming about our plans, we'd have an easier

time soliciting contributions from people less involved in the project, as
it
would be more obvious how they could get involved.

It strikes me that the first basic plan would be a release schedule,
however.
:-)

Robert