From: Matt Olander <matt <at> ixsystems.com>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle
Newsgroups: gmane.os.freebsd.devel.hackers
Date: Wednesday 18th January 2012 19:03:37 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Adam Vande More
wrote:
> I've suggested this before without much response, but since this thread
> seems to be encouraging repetition I'll give it another go.  ;)
>
> I think a bounty system would be very effective(e.g. micro-donations of
> recent political campaigns) in getting many of these problems resolved.
> The main problem with a bounty system is getting people to pay since
> certain needs/desires lose their urgency over time.  To address this,
the
> system needs to be an escrow type setup where money is pooled until
project
> is complete, then payment in full is given.
>
> There are large barriers to entry in setting up such a system though such
> as legal and financial hurdles.  I don't believe the technical hurdles
are
> over-whelming and I would be willing develop a web front end for such a
> system.  Because of the barriers I believe such a system should be setup
> and spun off by the FreeBSD Foundation and I don't want to do any dev
> unless there is some momentum.

Hi Adam,

I went down this road sometime ago and went so far as to create a
portal so that iXsystems could manage the transactions (collect the
funds and make sure everyone got paid). We put a bit of work into it
and we would be happy to hand the keys over to the Foundation if it's
useful at all.

http://sponsorbsd.org/

Let me know off-list if you'd like access to look at the code. It's a
simple CakePHP app and needs a little bit of love but worked
originally before we migrated the server.

Cheers,
-matt