Kelley | 31 Mar 04:59 2005

sue the profs!

This is wacky. You know how easy it is for a student to feel she's been
disrespected, simply because you teach about something that doesn't reflect
her common sense understanding of the way the world works? worse, in my
experience, many students get angry when they learn of a view that
challenges their common sense. they think their grades reflect the
teacher's bias, rather than a students' refusal to do what you're supposed
to do while obtaining a liberal arts education -- learn about perspectives
other than common sense!

Capitol bill aims to control 'leftist' profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

By JAMES VANLANDINGHAM
Alligator Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE — Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee
voted along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out
"leftist totalitarianism" by "dictator professors" in the classrooms of
Florida's universities.

The Academic Freedom Bill of Rights, sponsored by Rep. Dennis Baxley,
R-Ocala, passed 8-to-2 despite strenuous objections from the only two
Democrats on the committee.

The bill has two more committees to pass before it can be considered by the
full House.

While promoting the bill Tuesday, Baxley said a university education should
be more than "one biased view by the professor, who as a dictator controls
the classroom," as part of "a misuse of their platform to indoctrinate the
next generation with their own views."

The bill sets a statewide standard that students cannot be punished for
professing beliefs with which their professors disagree. Professors would
also be advised to teach alternative "serious academic theories" that may
disagree with their personal views.

According to a legislative staff analysis of the bill, the law would give
students who think their beliefs are not being respected legal standing to
sue professors and universities.

Students who believe their professor is singling them out for "public
ridicule" – for instance, when professors use the Socratic method to force
students to explain their theories in class – would also be given the right
to sue.

"Some professors say, 'Evolution is a fact. I don't want to hear about
Intelligent Design (a creationist theory), and if you don't like it,
there's the door,'" Baxley said, citing one example when he thought a
student should sue.

Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach, warned of lawsuits from students enrolled
in Holocaust history courses who believe the Holocaust never happened.

Similar suits could be filed by students who don't believe astronauts
landed on the moon, who believe teaching birth control is a sin or even by
Shands medical students who refuse to perform blood transfusions and
believe prayer is the only way to heal the body, Gelber added.

"This is a horrible step," he said. "Universities will have to hire lawyers
so our curricula can be decided by judges in courtrooms. Professors might
have to pay court costs — even if they win — from their own pockets. This
is not an innocent piece of legislation."

The staff analysis also warned the bill may shift responsibility for
determining whether a student's freedom has been infringed from the faculty
to the courts.

But Baxley brushed off Gelber's concerns. "Freedom is a dangerous thing,
and you might be exposed to things you don't want to hear," he said. "Being
a businessman, I found out you can be sued for anything. Besides, if
students are being persecuted and ridiculed for their beliefs, I think they
should be given standing to sue."

During the committee hearing, Baxley cast opposition to his bill as
"leftists" struggling against "mainstream society."

"The critics ridicule me for daring to stand up for students and faculty,"
he said, adding that he was called a McCarthyist.

Baxley later said he had a list of students who were discriminated against
by professors, but refused to reveal names because he felt they would be
persecuted.

Rep. Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood, argued universities and the state Board of
Governors already have policies in place to protect academic freedom.
Moreover, a state law outlining how professors are supposed to teach would
encroach on the board's authority to manage state schools.

"The big hand of state government is going into the universities telling
them how to teach," she said. "This bill is the antithesis of academic
freedom."

But Baxley compared the state's universities to children, saying the
legislature should not give them money without providing "guidance" to
their behavior.

"Professors are accountable for what they say or do," he said. "They're
accountable to the rest of us in society … All of a sudden the faculty
think they can do what they want and shut us out. Why is it so unheard of
to say the professor shouldn't be a dictator and control that room as their
totalitarian niche?"

In an interview before the meeting, Baxley said "arrogant, elitist
academics are swarming" to oppose the bill, and media reports
misrepresented his intentions.

"I expect to be out there on my own pretty far," he said. "I don't expect
to be part of a team."

House Bill H-837 can be viewed online at www.flsenate.gov.

http://www.alligator.org/pt2/050323freedom.php

Gmane