swatmanb | 17 Mar 19:38 2012
Picon

Re: Software and Driver

What PC OS?  Linux, XP, Windows 7 or ?

What software? (Kenwood MCP-F6/F7  or ??)

What cable? Kenwood RS-232 or USB?

I have had great luck on my Windows 7 laptop with the Kenwood MCP-F6/F7 software (free) and the Wouxun USB Programming Cable ($16)

I just installed this a few months ago and it was so straight forward I did not really give it much of  a thought and now I can't remember exactly what I did.

Kenwood software
 http://www.kenwood.com/i/products/info/amateur/software_download.html

Wouxun cable
  http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun -radios/usb-programming-cable.html

Wouxun USB cable software (? this us  be drive if needed)
 http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun/usb.html

PL-2303 Software and Drivers   (this is the USB to RS232 converter that is in the cable)    (it looks like today 3/17/12 the  Prolific site is having a little trouble)
google cache of page
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ABNe31Rj-S4J:www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp%3Fid%3D31+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=f irefox-a

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.5.0.zip  (direct link)
http://www.prolific.com.tw/support/files/%5CIO%20Cable%5CPL-2303%5CDrivers%20-%20Generic%5CWindows%5Callinone%5CPL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1.5.0.zip

so take this for what it is worth...

1) I had the Kenwood software installed well before I even got the radio or cable, just to play around with it.

2) installing the USB cable. (I can't remember if I just installed the cable and let windows 7 find the drivers or if I installed the drives first before the cable)

3) after the cable and drivers were installed I located the USB device adapter in the device manager to determine what COM port it was using.  Next in the MCP I set this to use that COM port.

hope it helps

--- In TH-F6A-hHKSG33TihhbjbujkaE4pw@public.gmane.org, David Holder <drdave3 <at> ...> wrote:

> I am trying to install the software to a PC for the TH-F6A. That seems to
> be the easiest way to put monitor frequencies into the radio.
>
> I have a cable that will work, but I need some kind of driver I can't seem
> to find.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> --
> -David Holder