Marc Carlson | 20 Nov 01:34 2012

Re: GenomicFeatures Reading GFF Efficiency

Hi Dario,

I have found and killed a couple bugs with this parser and the fix
should show up in the next couple days.

I will work on better performance as well, but that is not in the latest
update as I had to fix the bug 1st.  But please be aware that a lot of
the reason for the slow performance is because GTF files are not
required to encode exon ranking information.  In the 800+ megabyte file
you were parsing, there only way to get exon rank information was by
deducing it based on the provided coordinate positions.  The fact that
this file does not provide that information should probably concern
you.  Even though the inference can be done by the parser, it takes time
to do and more importantly: it makes assumptions about your data.  So it
really should not be done if you can avoid it.  This is why the function
is throwing a warning about the fact that it is infering the exon rankings.

So if you can get the data in another format, or at least from a GTF
file that does provide the exon ranking information, that would be
strongly recommended.

   Marc

On 11/15/2012 06:00 PM, Dario Strbenac wrote:
> After nearly 2 days, it gave an error :
>
> Processing splicing information for gtf file.
> Error in `colnames<-`(`*tmp*`, value = c("exon_chrom", "exon_start", "exon_end",  :
>    'names' attribute [9] must be the same length as the vector [6]
> In addition: Warning message:
> In .deduceExonRankings(exs) :
>    Infering Exon Rankings.  If this is not what you expected, then please be sure that you have provided a valid
attribute for exonRankAttributeName