convert gene name to Affy ID

I've done plenty of preprocessing, just for the sake of statistical methods, but right now I find myself
being rather illiterate when it comes to finding out about specific genes.

I gather I have to use something like
get(<myfavoritegene_name>, revmap(<description_of_array>))
but unfortunately I'm blanking on the details.
It would be great to get some help.

Specifically, what to use to describe the array I'm using
In this instance, I need this for both the old and the new version of Affy's drosophila gene expression
array, but if you could just point me into the direction where to find those names for whichever chip and any
associated libraries or files I need.

Many thanks for any clues.
Julia

 -- output of sessionInfo():

get(<myfavoritegene_name>, revmap(<description_of_array>))

--
Sent via the guest posting facility at bioconductor.org.