Gordon K Smyth | 28 Jun 09:37 2013

read.ilmn() and variation between chips

Dear Xiayu,

Yes, it is good enough.  neqc() has done between-array normalization
already, and there is no need for within-array normalization for Illumina

Please look at the help page

The read stages that you describe sound complicated.  read.ilmn() reads
the files as output by Genome Studio at our core facility without any need
for intermediate processing.

Best wishes

-------------------- original message --------------------
[BioC] read.ilmn() and variation between chips
Rao,Xiayu XRao at mdanderson.org
Wed Jun 26 20:08:09 CEST 2013

I have a question about background correction and normalization. Please
help me out! Thank you for your time!

I have four chips of microarray experiments, and therefore four data sets.
I combined them together by merging on ProbeID and read in them as one
file using read.ilmn(), and I combined all the control probe files into
one and read it in. I just followed the limma user guide and use neqc()
for background correction and normalization. Is it good enough? Do I need
to consider within array and between array normalization?

Bioconductor mailing list