From: Titoxd <at> Wikimedia <titoxd.wikimedia-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Version 0.5 CD *finally* released
Newsgroups: gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.misc
Date: Saturday 7th April 2007 16:28:10 UTC (over 11 years ago)
[cross-posted to Foundation-l, Wikipedia-l and WikiEN-l]

Well, after a couple of snags that pushed back the release dates, Wikipedia
0.5 is finally available for commercial distribution. Thanks to Linterweb,
one of the long-term goals of the Version 1.0 Editorial Team in the English
Wikipedia has been accomplished.

The release consists of an eclectic selection of 1964 articles, selected
over a period of one year, which span from Art to Zeus. It draws heavily on
the English Wikipedia’s featured article base, to have it also be a
showcase of the best of our work. The CD is available at http://www.wikipediaondvd.com, and
sells for approximately €12 ($15 USD, £8.50) with part of the sales
going directly to the Wikimedia Foundation. The CD is also publicly
viewable online, and the CD’s ISO file is available as well.

Either way, as the number "0.5" indicates, we are not done; static
releases, just like Wikipedia itself, are not finished, as they are works
in progress. We're starting work on Version 0.7 soon, and as everything
else on Wikipedia, "more eyes are always more better" (the bad grammar is
intentional ;) ). After v0.7, if things go as planned, we intend to finally
publish Wikipedia Version 1.0 and accomplish our goal. But we need
everyone’s help.

As part of the Version 1.0 Editorial Team, I hope that you will enjoy and
use our work, and we hope to provide you with more news of this kind soon.

Titoxd.