From: Diederik van Liere <dvanliere <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Editor Trends Study - Improving the tool
Newsgroups: gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.research
Date: Thursday 11th November 2010 22:44:56 UTC (over 6 years ago)
Dear Felipe,

We did investigate other tools before deciding to embark on this new
project, as you rightly point out we should minimize code overlap.
Pywikipediabot is an editing tool as far as I know and your tool,
WikixRay, has definitely proven itself. However, I believe that a
no-sql solution will give better performance than sql databases and
that has been one of the main reasons to write this tool.

I am not sure if a separate mailing list is required, at the moment
it's not, but thanks for the suggestion and I have added the SVN link.

Best,

Diederik
> To: Research into Wikimedia content and communities
>        <[email protected]>
>

> --- El mi?, 10/11/10, Diederik van Liere  escribi?:
>
> De: Diederik van Liere
> Asunto: [Wiki-research-l] Editor Trends Study - Improving the tool
> Para: [email protected]
> Fecha: mi?rcoles, 10 de noviembre, 2010 00:02
>
> Hi, Diederik,
>
> I'm also glad to see progress in this project. Some comments inline.
>
> Dear researchers,
>
> Recently, we started the Editor Trends Study (http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Trends_Study).
> The goal of this study is to get a better understanding of the community
>
> dynamics within the different Wikipedia projects.
>
> Part of this project consists of developing a tool (http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Trends_Study/Software)
>
> that parses a Wikipedia dump file, extracts the required information,
stores it
> in a database and exports it to a CSV file. This CSV file can then be
used in a
> statistical program such as R, Stata or SAS.
>
> Well, I would have expected that the team would have done some previous
search for open source code already available, that implements at least
some (if not exactly all or the very same) of the planned functionalities.

> Some examples are my own tool, WikiXRay, and Pywikpediabot (that, AFAIK,
now it also includes a fast parser of Wikipedia dump files).

> For my tool, now I use git for version control and you can use any of the
two repos available (the official at libresoft, or the mirror at
Gitorious):

> http://git.libresoft.es/WikixRay/
> http://gitorious.org/wikixray/wikixray
>
> Well, they might not be the best possible software available, but I guess
they can help to solve some problems, or at least help you to speed up the
development and to avoid starting from scratch.

> We are looking for some volunteers that would enjoy testing the tool. You
don't need to be a
> software developer (although it helps :)) to help us; some patience, a
bit of time and
> a fairly recent computer is all you need. You should be comfortable
installing programs,

> working with a command-line interface and have basic Subversion
experience.
> Python experience is a real bonus!
>
> The testing will focus on getting the tool to run without any
supervision. For more background information, have a look at:

> http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editor_Trends_Study/Software
>
> Perhaps you're going to provide this info later, but I don't see the
links to your SVN repo (only [] ).

> We are testing the tool with the largest Wikipedia projects, so if you
would like to replicate

> the analysis on your own favorite Wikipedia project or help improve the
quality of the tool then please contact me off-list.

> I think it should be more effective to have another public list to which
people specifically interested in this tool can suscribe (for example, like
we have one for XML dumps exclusively).

> This should sensibly reduce the number of duplicated bug reports, and
comments, since other people can learn about known issues.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Best,
> Felipe.
>
> Best,