From: Jaime Nubiola <jnubiola <at> unav.es>
Subject: Mateusz W. Oleksy
Newsgroups: gmane.science.philosophy.peirce
Date: Monday 11th May 2009 16:12:13 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Dear colleagues,

I've learnt just today abouth the death in past
July of the Polish Peirce scholar Mateusz W.
Oleksy. I copy from a newsletter of the Polish
Association for American Studies
(http://paas.org.pl/pdf/oct08.pdf):

"The conference was dedicated to the memory of
dr. Mateusz Oleksy, their son and only child. On
July 23, 2008 Mateusz fell off the Chan Tengri
glacier in Kirgizia. His body has not been
recovered. Before setting off for this expedition
he had just completed his habilitacja, a 360-page
manuscript on Charles Peirce, the father of
American Philosophical Pragmatism, entitled:
Realism and Individualism. Charles S. Peirce and
the Threat of Modern Nominalism. Mateusz was
Senior Fulbright Scholar at the University of
California at Berkley (2002-2003)."

His book has already appeared in the University
Press of Lodz (Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu
Lódzkiego):
https://ksiegarnia.uni.lodz.pl/index.php/books/show/id/744

Mateusz visited Navarre in June of 2005 giving us
a brilliant presentation of his work and I met
him again in the Opole meeting on American and
European Values III, University of Opole, in June
2007.

He will be missed. Best,

Jaime

-----
**
** Click on the following URL link for THE PEIRCE BLOG, which is
** the central pointer and guide for Peirce resources on the web:
**            http://csp3.blogspot.com/
**
-----