From: Grant Slater <openstreetmap-4cclpSaEo1nqlBn2x/YWAg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: OSM Tile Server & fake user-agents
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gis.qlandkartegt.user
Date: Monday 17th February 2014 14:46:45 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Oliver Eichler  writes:

> I have a discussion with one of the maintainers from the OSM tile server.
He is detecting fake user-agent
> strings and is assuming that QLandkarte is the culprit. Probably he is
right if anyone of you is still using
> the development snapshots with the fake user-agent string.

Oliver, you are not reporting accurately what I requested.

QLandkarte has been using the user-agent "Mozilla 5.0" for a long time,
this
user-agent is widely used by mass downloading tile scrapers. A few weeks
ago
OpenStreetMap was badly overloaded after a hardware failure and I blocked
some of the largest tile scrapers to keep the service available to mappers.
(1). QLandkarte was unintentionally blocked because of the user-agent.

Yesterday I kindly asked you to set an application specific User-Agent. eg:
QLandkarte/1.5.6 (2) and suggested if you wanted to protect users' privacy
that you use the SSL tiles we offer: https://[abc].tile.openstreetmap.org/
I unblocked the "Mozilla 5.0" user-agent as good will to the users and to
allow time for transition to a fixed version. (3)

> Thus do me a favor and stop it. Faking the agent is indeed a bad idea and
not very fair. Before you do things that
> annoy the OSM tile server admin more than necessary, consider using
alternative online maps.

I have absolutely no issue with QLandkarte users using OpenStreetMap tiles
as long as a real app specific user-agent is used.

Today you indicated to me that you are unwilling to set an app specific
user-agent, so I restored the block on the bad-user-agent. (4)

Kind regards,
 Grant
 Part of the OpenStreetMap sysadmin team

1:
http://git.openstreetmap.org/chef.git/commitdiff/6da3029671af74f2696bc2544573fae856d8120f
2: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.43
3:
http://git.openstreetmap.org/chef.git/commitdiff/be846dabb9b397e690fbd0cc4c6a8590101f3feb
4:
http://git.openstreetmap.org/chef.git/commitdiff/91c1eb8f5110d44bed49a285044683afaec760a2

Android apps run on BlackBerry 10
Get your Android app in front of a whole new audience.  Start now.